What is it about the small town romances that hits us in the feels? On a day like today (it’s dark and rainy outside), I love diving into some unknown corner of America, where the characters are eccentric, the heroes are hot and the lovin’ is… well, steamy. I’ve got a few favorites I always go back to—stories where the town is as present as the people in it. These are the other small town romances—not the bright, sweet ones you might expect to encounter, but the gritty or the sexy or the ones you just can’t seem to forget.
- Susan Elizabeth Philips is the queen of the small town romance (okay, she’s the queen of a lot of things). What I love the most about these books is how seldom she pulls her punches. DREAM A LITTLE DREAM is a great example of how she digs right into the heart of some tough, real emotions and drags us readers right there with her.
- Sarina Bowen’s True North series (starting with BITTERSWEET) shows us so many facets of the beautiful Vermont countryside. These books are lovely and heart-wrenching and very, very sexy.
- Zoe York is another author who gives good small town. In fact, her LOVE IN A SMALL TOWN might well be the perfect place to start.
- Victoria Dahl is so good at these quirky small town characters! In TALK ME DOWN, an erotic romance writer arrives in tiny Tumble Creek in search of inspiration. Luckily for us, the police chief provides it… in spades.
- Before penning darker erotic romances as M. O’Keefe, Molly O’Keefe gave us fun, sexy romps in the tiny town of Bishop, Arkansas. WILD CHILD brings together a mayor, a reality star turned author, and a town on the verge of bankruptcy. It’s the perfect blend of sweet, sexy, and tear-jerkingly real.
He Will Always Bear the Scars
Undercover cop Clay Navarro left the Sultans biker gang a changed man. Its ringleaders may be awaiting trial, but he wears the memory of every brutal act he was forced to commit tattooed across his skin. He doesn’t have space in his messed-up life for anything gentle—not now, maybe not ever.
Dr. Georgette Hadley is drawn to the damaged stranger’s pain, intimidated but intrigued by the warmth that lies beneath Clay’s frightening exterior. But when the Sultans return looking for revenge, she finds herself drawn into the dirty underbelly of a life forged in violence…that not even her touch may be able to heal.
Romance Contemporary [Sourcebooks Casablanca, On Sale: April 4, 2017, Mass Market Paperback / e-Book, ISBN: 9781492633877 / eISBN: 9781492633884]
About Adriana Anders
Adriana Anders has acted and sung, slung cocktails and corrected copy. She’s worked for start-ups, multinationals and small nonprofits, but it wasn’t until she returned to her first love—writing romance—that she finally felt like she’d come home. Today, she resides with her tall French husband, two small children and fat French cat in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, where she writes the dark, gritty, emotional love stories of her heart.