When I’m not working my day job as attorney and writing my books, you can always find me performing lead vocals for a band. Yep- for a fee and a meal of rubber reception chicken, you can have us entertain you and your guests at the best day of your life. And writing PLAYING WITH THE DRUMMER (about a celebrity wedding) got me thinking about all of the weddings I’ve done over the years.
We get lots of special requests and we bend over backwards to accommodate the couple but there have been some weird ones that live on in my memory. Here are the top five:
5. All My Exes Live in Texas by George Strait: The father of the bride was a huge fan of the King of Country but I think I could have picked any of his dozens of number one love songs before this one.
4. Gold Digger by Kanye West: Not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination and really weird to sing when you watch the realization of what they lyrics are about dawn on the faces of the older guests –even though we change some of the words to ones less offensive. Baby Daddy’s are not the best topic for the wedding day…just sayin’.
3. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion: Now, this sounds like a soaring love song that will declare their undying love…but dying is the point here because this song was written to the dead boyfriend (poor Jack-there was room on that piece of wood and you won’t convince me otherwise…but I digress). Death and wedding receptions are not the best combination.
2. Love Stinks by J. Geils Band: The couple was young and apparently huge fans of The Wedding Singer movie and thought this would be h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s. They loved it but the parental units were less than thrilled when it was played and let’s face it folks…they are the ones that decide how much the tip is for us. But, in the end, seeing the bride singing this into an “air mic” in her Vera Wang gown was worth a chuckle.
1. I Touch Myself by the Divynls: Do I even need to state why this is a bad choice? Just picture your drunk friends interpretive dancing to this song in front of Grandma or your Dad . Nope. Nope. Nope.
So, that’s my shortlist – what would you add?
About the Book
Entertainment journalist Lita Matthews is on the verge of making it big. As in her-own-TV-show big. She just needs amazing inside scoop on the year’s hottest celebrity wedding. Instead, her big break is becoming a big nightmare—all thanks to rock star Rocky Cardano. Who apparently hasn’t gotten over what happened between them four years ago…
Rocky is pretty damn familiar with just how far Lita will go for a “scoop.” Hell, their unbelievably hot hook-up in Mexico years ago was the story of a lifetime. Rocky’s learned his lessons. He’ll do whatever it takes to keep her from the story—even if he has to seduce her to the point of distraction! But Lita has always had a way of getting under his skin. Only this time, he won’t be able to just walk away…
About the Author
Robin Covington loves to explore the theme of fooling around and falling in love in her bestselling books. When she’s not writing sexy, sizzling romance she’s collecting tasty man candy pics, indulging in a little comic book geek love, and obsessing over Dean Winchester. Don’t send chocolate . . . send eye candy!